Here’s a rough decision making process that I have used regularly and like. This will no doubt need tweaking both now and if it is implemented.
Coop Brum Decision Making Process
- In favour
In Co-operation Birmingham, we make decisions collectively.
We designed our decision making process using decision making tools we had experienced through participation in various horizontal organisations.
Our decisions can be split intro three categories: Small, Medium and Large.
1) Small - Get on and do the thing
- No one cares.
- Made by an individual within the co-op.
- Could be in any area.
- Up to individual co-op members to decide if they should just make the decision, or share it with the rest of the co-op to seek consensus.
2) Medium - Consensus pending objections
- About admin and infrastructure.
- Doesn’t have an effect on the direction or operation of the co-op.
- Give a deadline. Unless anyone objects or asks for more time then it passes.
- The deadline must reasonable (a week by default).
- If any member of the co-op thinks it’s a Large decision, achieve Maximum Consensus (see below).
- Medium decision can be escalated to a Large decision by any 2 co-op members.
3) Large - Maximum Consensus
- Important decisions affecting the operation, direction, working conditions and finances of the co-op.
- Can be requested by any member of the co-op for any decision.
- Consensus voting: addressing any concerns.
- Input sought from all co-op members who might be affected
- Votes can be in favour, against, abstain (stand aside) or block.
- One member, one vote.
- Process continues until there are less than 2 blocks and less than 2 votes against.
Process for Medium and Large decisions:
- Write up a proposal
- Announce the decision in a thread in the Decisions catergory on the forum.
- Create a poll in the forum thread if neccersary for large decisions.
- Announce the result in forum thread.
(For Medium and Large decisions)
- Size (Medium / Large)
- What you want to change
- Who it affects
I'd like to propose (Medium|Large) decision XXX, to write our name as "Cöööperation Birmingham" in all our public communications. Deadline for votes is DEADLINE – let me know if you need more time to vote than that. Poll for voting.