First of all, I’m not sure if this is the right place to post this, so feel free to move the post if you think it’d fit better somewhere else.
Following the discussion from the last meeting, I’m posting here the proposal for an organisational structure that Nina and I created.
The idea is that this structure can support the expansion of Cooperation Birmingham by including new operations (see for example the dashed lines on the right). Operations would have a certain degree of autonomy, but they would still be supported by the working groups. Decision-making would be made at the Cooperation Birmingham level, which would be open and we would encourage representation from all operations and working groups.
As you can see, we also suggest a small reconfiguration of the working groups. We haven’t thought much about the internal organisation of the working groups or operations, but it would probably we useful to have a coordinator (ideally a rotating position) who makes sure that unit is taking care of its responsibilities.
We think it is important to define which tasks will be assigned to each working group. This is obviously not carved in stone, but something flexible that can be modified, but should be written down to avoid confusion and ensure accountability. This is our proposal for task assignation to the working groups. Be aware that we are not familiar with some of the working groups intricacies, so this is just our guess. This list is a very early draft.
Admin & outreach:
- Checking email account regularly
- Answering emails or redirecting them to other working groups
- Updating “waiting list” in spreadsheet order
- Contacting new participants, onboarding them and adding them to the database. Keeping the database updated.
- Sorting out the rota
- Confirming shifts in advance and providing rota support for last minute changes (cancellations, etc.)
- Maintenance of the forum, email and other digital platforms used by Cooperation Birmingham
- Work with other working groups in implementing solutions that might improve processes (e.g. app for participants coordination)
Logistics & processes:
- Coordinate operations on a daily basis (current participants coordination)
- Create and improve processes that allow operations to run smoothly on a daily basis
- Work out a logistics plan for potential expansion, including interaction between different operations
- Manage budget and make payments derived from our operations
- Develop plan for funds raising according to the needs and principles of Cooperation Birmingham
Communication & social media:
- Keep the social media up to date and use them to support other working groups when needed (e.g. need for participants, fundraising campaign, …)
- Keep participants mailing group updated and send emails regularly with information about meetings, decisions, etc.